Springmaid Mountain offers a wide variety of equestrian services, including guided trail rides, horseback riding lessons and lead-line rides for children.
Please Note: Except for lead lines, children must be at least 8 years of age and over four feet tall. Riders must weigh less than 250 pounds and wear closed-toe shoes. Double riding is not allowed. There is a 24-hour cancellation fee of 10 percent.
To book a trail ride online, navigate to Sites & Cabins, and
check the Other box. Please make sure your date is selected on the calendar.
Guided Horseback Trail Rides
Spend a morning or afternoon on winding trails that reveal nature at its best – majestic mountain views, gentle flowing rivers and dynamic fall foliage colors. Trail rides wind through our 400 acres of mountain scenery. Advanced reservations are required.
- Hour-and-a-Half: 9am & 2:30pm
- One Hour: 11am & 1pm
- $60/person - 1 ½ hour trail ride
- $45/person - 1 hour trail ride
Lead-Line Horseback Rides
The lead lines allow smaller children to enjoy the riding experience. A saddled horse is provided for a parent or adult to lead the child on a short walk near the equestrian center. Reservations are required.
- $15/20-minute ride
Visitors are welcome to bring their horses to Springmaid to ride the trails. Daily equestrian fee is $10 per horse and is payable at the Front Office upon arrival.
Horseback Riding Lessons
Develop basic horsemanship skills to safely catch, lead, tack up, ride and better understand horse behavior. Riders will learn groundwork until they acquire the comfort and knowledge to ride in the arena. Once rider demonstrates the ability to control and react to the horse, lessons will move outside the arena on mountain trails, gravel roads and fields. The rider needs to be at the barn half an hour before the lesson to ready their horse.
Lessons can also help those interested in riding gain confidence before their first trail ride.
Lessons will be available April 2-June 26 and August 6-October 30 on Saturday and Sundays at 9:30am, 11:30am, 1:30pm and 3pm. To check availability and schedule a lesson, call Springmaid Mountain’s office at 828-765-2353.
- One-hour private lesson: $50 per person
- Group lessons not available at this time
Clothing & Gear
Dress appropriately for the weather (rain, cold or heat). Blue jeans or leggings are recommended, along with closed-toed shoes that can get dirty (prefer boots). Please bring a water bottle.
- Ages 8 years and younger, as well as first-time riders, are required to complete private lessons until they are approved for group lessons. This allows the instructor to place them in appropriate groups.
- Lessons are weather dependent.
- Parent/guardian must be present for the lesson.
- A 24-hour cancellation notice is required, and a credit card will be kept on file for a 10-percent no-show fee.